- What you need to know
- IRS definitions and explanations
- The tax credit applies to domestic and international adoptions, but the procedure is not the same. Credit for expenses for international adoptions can be claimed only after finalization; for domestic adoptions, the credit can be applied even if the adoption does not go through.
- The full credit can be taken for domestic special needs adoption even when the qualifying expenses don't reach that limit.
- The credit is per child, not per year, so even if you claim expenses paid out over more than one year for one adoption, the total credit amount remains at the annual level set by the IRS.
- determine your eligibility;
- learn how the credit works with your particular adoption;
- develop a system to track and document expenses;
- do your taxes, work with a professional.
- To take the credit or exclusion, complete Form 8839 (PDF), Qualified Adoption Expenses. You will attach Form 8839 to Form 1040 (PDF) or Form 1040A (PDF) and report the credit on line 52 of Form 1040 or line 34 of Form 1040A.
- Visit the download page to view and/or download the forms you'll need for adoption-related tax filing. Forms are available in various formats, and include:
- Form 8839 - for itemizing qualifying adoption-related expenses.
- Form SS-5 - to apply for a Social Security Number for your child.
- Form W-7 - to apply for an Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) if your child is a resident or non-resident alien who does not qualify for an SSN.
- Form W-7A - to apply for an Adoption Taxpayer ID Number (ATIN) if you are in the process of adopting a US citizen or resident, and cannot get an SSN until the adoption is final.
There is Hope For Families!
Thank You and please feel free to Contact Us by Email
or call at (772) 429-3334 or TOLL FREE (866) 773-3334
Home | Definition | Who can Adopt | Cost | Process of Adoption
Post Placement Supervision | Home Study | Interstate Adoption Forms
Program Cost Estimates | Welcome Letter | IRS Adoption Credits
Adoption vs Foster Care | Testimonies | Our Staff | Contact Us
Site Designed and Optimized by Christo Interactive, LLC
To experience one week in your life that will change a lifetime, visit Epic Missions Inc.